Code of Conduct
Welcome to the University Libraries. Members of the UW community and visitors are invited to use the Libraries’ information resources and services. The Libraries strives to provide access to complete and well-maintained collections, information resources and equipment. The Libraries seeks to provide a safe and secure environment and facilities suitable for reading, studying and other activities associated with scholarly teaching and research.
Library users are expected to respect the rights of others, the integrity of Libraries resources and the scholarly mission of the Libraries.
- Use email or online resources within the guidelines of UW computer use policies.
- Adhere to policies governing appropriate use of University identification.
- Present identification upon request.
- Comply with library policies.
- Respond to emergency and security gate alarms and other situations as instructed by staff; leave buildings at closing and limit use of the library to authorized areas only.
Behaviors that infringe upon the rights of library users or staff are prohibited. Prohibited activities and behaviors include, but are not limited to, the following.
Individuals will not:
- Exhibit any threatening or intimidating behaviors, e.g., abusive language, threats of violence or harassment.
- Engage in behavior that is potentially unsafe or harmful to self or others.
- Create disturbances with disruptive noise, e.g., loud talking or audible electronic devices.
- Engage in any sexual activities including, but not limited to, unwanted or inappropriate touching, unwanted or inappropriate advances, harassment or indecent exposure.
- Vend, peddle, solicit or petition in the libraries; post or distribute materials without permission.
- Use alcohol, tobacco or controlled substances.
- Disturb others with strong odors, e.g., perfumes, alcohol or unsanitary personal conditions.
- Obstruct use of Libraries equipment or facilities, or deny access to Libraries materials through theft or deliberate misplacement.
- Deface or damage library materials including, but not limited to, underlining, highlighting, writing, removing pages or security devices.
- Leave young children unsupervised.
- Misuse, misappropriate, damage or deface library furniture, buildings or equipment, including computer systems.
- Have food or drink in areas where they are prohibited.
- Bring animals, other than identified service animals, into libraries.
- Allow others to use their nontransferable UW identification or network authentication (UW NetID).
- Leave personal belongings unattended.
- Bring bicycles into the building.
Individuals will not engage in the following activities in the Suzzallo and Allen Libraries:
- Take organized, posed photographs or videos, such as wedding parties and staged film shoots, and any photography or videography that blocks building entrances, passages, and staircases. Photography or videography requiring the use of special lighting or reflectors is also not allowed.
Sanctions for non-compliance:
Library users found in violation of this code of conduct may be asked to present identifi cation to library staff; may be subject to a search of backpacks or bags; may be directed to leave the premises and not return to any library facilities for the day; and may be reported to University of Washington police. Disciplinary or legal action may also be taken in accordance with applicable laws and policies.
Federal and Washington State laws, local regulations and UW policies, including the Student Conduct Code, Workplace Violence and Sexual Harassment policies and other policies in the UW Policy Directory also apply within the University Libraries. In addition, the Libraries has written policies on food and drink, use of computers and borrowing library materials. All referenced library policies can be found at http://www.lib.washington.edu/about/policy.
revised May 2013