- What is the difference between Summit and ILL?
- Is there a fee associated with using Summit?
- Can I access Summit if I am not a current student/staff/faculty?
- When I request an item through Summit where do I pick it up? Am I notified when the item is available for pickup?
- What should I do if I need to pick my Summit loan up at a different location?
- How long is my loan period?
- Why do Summit items have a different loan period than my UW items?
- Am I able to renew?
- What is the average wait time for a Summit book to arrive once my request has been submitted?
- Where can I find the due date of a Summit item I have checked out?
- Do I receive notices reminding me to return my Summit items before they are due?
- How can I cancel my Summit request?
- Where do I return my Summit items?
- How do I get the correct volume in a series sent to me? What about periodicals?
- If I want to continue using a Summit item after its initial due date do I need to return the item to the owning institution, or am I able to check it in and back out again at my home institution?
- Am I able to check items out using my home institution student id card when I visit another Summit institution in person?
- How many Summit items can I check out at one time?
- Does my loan period change if another Summit user requests an item I have checked out? Am I notified of this change?
What is the difference between Summit and ILL?
Summit allows patrons to request books, dvds and more directly from any Summit library for fast delivery (about 3-5 days) to any UW pickup location. Summit patrons can choose from the holdings of 37 academic libraries in the Pacific Northwest who have joined together to provide expedited service to their patrons.
Interlibrary Loan services allow UW patrons to request loans or reproductions of materials held in libraries worldwide. This includes materials not available in Summit or which cannot be requested through Summit (microforms, photocopies of articles). Patrons send requests to the UW ILL department where staff locate potential lenders, request, receive and send the materials to the patron's desired pickup location, and arrange for the material’s return to the home library.
When I request an item through Summit where do I pick it up? Am I notified when the item is available for pickup?
While requesting, you will have the ability to choose your pickup location from any library on campus. You will be notified via email when your item is ready for pickup.
What should I do if I need to pick my Summit loan up at a different location?
Pickup locations can be changed, even after we receive the item. Contact us at email@example.com and send us the request number, title, and where you want to pick the item up and we will make the change. If the item has already been received you can simply forward the pickup notice and let us know where you need to pick it up. We will transfer the item there. You'll get a new pickup notice when it arrives at the correct location.
Why do Summit items have a different loan period than my UW items?
Items circulating through Summit have loan periods determined by Summit. Those loan periods are 6 days or 6 weeks.
How can I cancel my Summit request?
Summit requests that have not yet been shipped by the other library can be cancelled from your Summit account. You will see a cancel button next to the title; click the button and answer "yes" to the box asking if you really want to cancel. If the item has already been shipped you can still cancel by emailing the Interlibrary Loan/Summit office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us the request number and book title and we will cancel the request and send the item back when it arrives.
Where do I return my Summit items?
Materials borrowed through Summit can be returned to any UW library, the owning Summit library, or any other Summit member library. A list of Summit member libraries can be found here.
How do I get the correct volume in a series sent to me? What about Periodicals?
When you reach the Summit request page (after logging in with your UW NetID) be sure to fill out the "Volume/Part Number" field below the pickup location. You must submit a separate request for each volume you wish to borrow in a series. Requests for an "entire series" will default to the next available volume.
Periodical requests are best placed through Interlibrary Loan.
If I want to continue using a Summit item after its initial due date do I need to return the item to the owning institution, or am I able to check it in and back out again at my home institution?
The item will need to return to the home institution to ensure that any local patron who may have requested it can use the item in a timely fashion. However, if there is another copy available in the Summit system you can place a new request for a second copy before the first copy comes due.
Am I able to check items out using my UW student ID card when I visit another Summit institution in person?
Yes. Go here for more information and a list of Summit institutions, or here for a video tutorial.
Does my loan period change if another Summit user requests an item I have checked out? Am I notified of this change?
Summit items may be recalled if they are needed for reserve at the owning institution. You will receive an e-mail informing you of the new due date.