Open Access Week 2012
"Perspectives on Open Access: Practice, Progress and Pitfalls"
Monday, October 22, 1:00-2:30, Allen Auditorim, Allen Library
International Open Access Week kicks off with this webcast, presented by the Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition (SPARC) and the World Bank. Speakers include:
- Michael Carroll, Professor of Law, American University and founding Board Member, Creative Commons
- Matt Cooper, President, The National Association of Graduate-Professional Students
- Maricel Kann, Assistant Professor, University of Maryland and member, PubMed Central National Advisory Committee, NIH
- Carlos Rossel, Publisher, The World Bank
- Neil Thakur, Special Assistant to the Deputy Director, Extramural Research, National Institutes of Health (NIH)
"Open Data = Open Research"
Thursday, October 25th, 1:30-3:00, Room Green A, Research Commons, Allen Library
Following the philosophy of Open Access, Open Data is data that is openly available (with some exceptions) for discovery, access, and re-use. Join us for an interdisciplinary look at examples of open data at UW, how open data can facilitate research, and which UW services are available to support making data more discoverable and accessible.
"Sharing Ideas, Expanding Knowledge: Open Access as a Scholarly Publishing Alternative for the Future"
This exhibit continues in the Health Sciences Library through Friday, October 19th. It will be installed later in October in the Library at UW Bothell. Selected slides from the exhibit are available here.