Services for Visitors
Welcome to the University of Washington Libraries, the premier research library in the Pacific Northwest. Most of the Libraries' research collections and tools are available for your use on campus. The primary clientele of the UW Libraries are current UW students, staff and faculty.
For those planning school visits see Services for K-12.
Take advantage of the wide range of free research services and tools provided by the Libraries:
- Collections - everyone is welcome to visit the UW Libraries and use our books, journals and most other materials on site. See specific libraries for more information.
- Genealogical Research - the Family History subject guide describes resources and strategies that are useful for those researching genealogy
- Library Events & Exhibits - displays and exhibits are presented in a number of libraries.
- Reference Help - librarians are available to help you in each library and via email and chat.
- Research Databases - a limited number of research workstations provide access to research databases. Off-campus access to UW restricted databases, ebooks and resources is only available to current UW faculty, staff and students, however local public libraries may offer remote access to many of the same databases and resources. Current UW Alumni Association members can access the EBSCO Academic Search Alumni Edition database.
- Tours - self-guided tours are available for some libraries.
- UW Libraries Catalog - search the catalog from off-campus.
- UW Libraries Digital Collections - view historic photographs and documents.
- Wireless - temporary UW NetIDs are available for visitors to use the wireless network. Ask at any service desk for information.
These library services require payment of a fee:
- Borrowing Books - Friends of the Libraries scholar level members, UW Alumni Association members, and visitors can get library borrowing privileges. More information >
- Document Delivery - copies of UW materials are available on a cost-recovery basis. We cannot borrow books or obtain documents from other libraries for visitors. See Services and Costs for non-UW Clients for more information.
- Printing, Scanning, and Copying - for-fee printing and copying is available in all libraries. Visitors must purchase a Dawg Prints Card for copying and printing. Scanning is available - to USB and to email for free (must get a Temporary NetID for email), and to printer (printing fees apply).