Course Reserves General Information
Placing material on Reserve
Instructors may place course-related materials on reserve for students including any combination of the following material types:
- Electronic Reserves (E-Reserves)
- Materials such as articles, audio files, chapters, class notes, presentations, solutions, images, video files and syllabi may be made available through e-reserves. The best e-reserves are less than 1.0 MB. E-Reserves items may be submitted on CDs, USB drives, photocopies, or as email attachments. If a reading is available online, a citation is sufficient.
Instructors are responsible for copyright compliance.
- UW Library Books
- Reserve staff will request circulating books from UW Library branches, which can take several weeks. If a title or edition is not owned by the libraries, staff may order one copy. Depending on availability, book orders may take 6-8 weeks. Please allow sufficient time.
Books from other libraries, including those borrowed through Summit and Interlibrary Loan, may not be placed on reserve.
- Personal Copies
- Instructors' personal copies of books and/or other materials may be placed on reserve at the owner's risk. Personal copies will be returned at the end of the quarter.
- Media Materials
- Videotapes, DVDs, slides, and audio recordings can be placed on reserve. Please contact your library for more information.
Renewing a list already on Reserve
Notify Reserve staff by phone, email, or campus mail before the end of the current quarter to update lists and retain material for the next quarter. A list is active for one quarter unless the instructor requests that it remain active for more than one quarter, up to one year. A list may be revised or added to at any time.
Campus Reserve Units
- UW Seattle
206-543-2991 or 206-685-6975 - main reserves at Odegaard Library
(see link for other unit contact info)
- UW Bothell/Cascadia
- UW Tacoma
Start Early! Reserve lists are processed in the order received. Although reserve units do not have a firm deadline for receiving requests, instructors are encouraged to submit lists as early in advance of the quarter as possible. E-Reserves requests may require a 2 week turnaround time at the beginning of the quarter.