Permission to Use Images
About Use Permissions
- Use permissions. Once you have ordered a print or scan, or have downloaded an image from our website, it can be used it for classroom use, student projects, personal display, or research. Formal permission is required for all other uses. Other uses include, but are not limited to, publication, broadcast, products, commercial display, websites, etc.
- Fees. Use of Special Collections materials are subject to a use fee. The fee is charged per image or at a standard rate. Promotional use of an image is included with use fees. Lower fees may be negotiated for use of large numbers of images.
- Credit line requirements.
- Image: University of Washington Libraries, Special Collections, [plus the negative or identification number]
The negative number is provided with the image and is a letter + number combination, such as UW13452, Hegg 1234, NA1275.
Example: University of Washington Libraries, Special Collections, UW13452.
- Film or television: University of Washington Libraries, Special Collections
- Signage, product, other: Credit line may not be required. Contact Special Collections.
How to Request Use Permission
- Print, complete and sign form.
- Deliver form to Special Collections:
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: 206-543-1931
- In person: hours
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-2900
- Payment. You will be invoiced for your order. Orders are processed after payment is received.
- Notification. You will receive a letter granting you permission to use the image in your project. The notification will indicate the that you are required to use with the image.
Printed materials (book, journals, catalog, newspaper, etc.)
|Number of copies||Cost||Non-profit|
|0 - 1,000||None
|1,000 - 9,000||$28.90||$.00|
|10,000 - 49,000||$40.46||$28.90|
|50,000 - 74,000||$86.70||$28.90|
Film/TV - Standard
Film/TV - Non-standard
|CD ROM, DVD or Web||$86.70||$28.90|
|Multiple media distribution||$346.80||$115.60|
|Products & other uses||$86.70||$28.90|